Sasha's Tunisian Cushions 04.04.2015

This post has been dusted off and taken straight out of the "According to Matt Archives". Matt originally posted this content on his old blog "Crochet & Crafts According To Matt". We thought that it was a shame for creativity and inspiration to lay dormant, so we are recycling the content from Matt's old blog, keeping it available for you all to read, reference and use as you please.


According To Matt Archives- Sasha's Tunisian Cushions
Originally posted on:Saturday, 4th April 2015

Hello there!
As mentioned in my recent post "Works In Progress" I've been working on some cushion covers (as well as other things) for my friend Sasha.
Well....On Tuesday I finally gave Sasha his completed cushions back.
Not only was I thrilled that he was happy with them, but a little relieved that I had actually finished them!

I don't know if you find this... but sometimes when people ask me to make them things, I cringe at the idea.
Mainly because of the amount of work it takes (and they don't always realise), but also because of the responsibility of creating something that the recipient is going to like.

Sasha asked me to make some covers for some old cushions that he had. Being the great friend that Sasha is to me, I was more then happy.
He wanted some simple yet fun cushions in a blue or grey. Sounded easy enough, so I got to work on them.

Now the reason I was so relieved to finally give these cushions to Sasha, was because this project could have been completed within a week or two. But alongside other commitments I had to work on, it turned out taking 4 months before I finally got around to finishing them!
Sasha asked about his pillows on a couple of occasions and I kept saying "they are almost ready". He waited another few weeks, then asked again...."they're almost done"
Finally the week before last, they were actually "almost done". I finally got them finished!!! "Phew!" (I say as I wipe my brow).

For Sasha's cushions I chose some deliciously soft Rico Baby classic dk. An acrylic blend that comes in some great shades. I was actually looking for a thicker yarn, but decided on this purely because of the colour.

To make up for the yarn being a little thinner than I had wanted, I wound three balls together and made one luxuriously thick ball to work from.

Isn't that a pretty sight. One perfectly wound ball of yarn, ready to be worked up into something special.

Yarn at the ready and a nice thick crochet hook (Size 9) with cable attached and I was ready to start this project.

I needed the cable as I had decided to do (once agin) some Tunisian crochet. I decided to use the Tunisian simple stitch, as when worked up in rows this stitch creates a lovely dense fabric, that isn't as holey as your average crocheted material.

I made four rectangular pieces. Two for each cushion, making up both sides of the case.
I single crocheted both pieces together, making sure to leave one end open.
On the end that I had left open I sewed (by hand) a zip into the cushion cover, making it nice and easy for Sasha to remove the cushion inserts if he needed.

Once done, I settled upon some big shiny red buttons to add a little something special to the simple blue cushion covers.

I sewed the buttons on, with nice chunky stitches.

All finished! I'm hoping they are masculine enough, as I can get a little carried away with my crochet work. I figured simple was the key to this project and I think that I succeeded in that.

Sasha was very pleased when I gave the to him. I was very happy to finally have something to show for his long and patient wait.

I may make myself a couple once I have a free minute. Not too sure when that will be though, as my brain is buzzing with other ideas and projects. I like it when I'm feeling like this.... feeling inspired!

Happy Easter weekend lovely people!

xxx

Back to the According to Matt Blog Archives

No comments